Saturday, August 27, 2011

See You In September

It’s time to get used to going against the grain.

Here it is, one week before the Carr family homeschool project kicks off in an official, marked-on-the-calendar call-the-girl-a-Kindergartener sort of way, and I’m worried about what people must be thinking of me for waiting until after Labor Day while everybody else started the school year weeks ago. Never mind that we’re not even registered at the school with an excellent rating where normal nice people send their kids. Never mind the fact that we’ll be saying the Pledge of Allegiance to the next door neighbor’s flag on a pole in the middle of the front yard every morning. Never mind the fact that a full third of my lesson planning involves going to the park.

Never mind all that. I’m worried about starting in September instead of August.

If I don’t toughen up my hide a little and resign myself to the fact that most of the people I know already think we’re weirdoes, I’m going to have a tough school year ahead. Even among other Homeschooling families, we’re a little bit different. For some strange reason I can’t find myself capable of taking an easy prepacked curriculum and just running with it. We’re picking up a little of this and a little of that, depending on what suits my fancy; the more work something appears to be for me, the more excited I seem to get about it. I’m kind of hoping I get over that particular tendency.

Soon I’ll be posting our curriculum choices and goals for this year, followed by subsequent posts with updates on what we are covering. This will mainly be for the benefit of those in our circle who are curious to know exactly how peculiar we really are when we get right down to it, and also to keep a record so I can look back later and see how far we’ve come along.

But getting started – that won’t be until September.

2 comments:

  1. Jana I have a feeling that you are on top of your children's education and doing great! I doubt very much that they are missing out on anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Norma! I'm sure trying!

    ReplyDelete